Tuesday, October 18, 2011

We dance, we kiss, we schmooze, we carry on, we go home happy. What do you say?


There’s nothing better than cuddlefest and Hercules to start off your week. And that is precisely what we did. Grace and I watched the much beloved Disney film with our friends Chelsea and Francesca on Sunday night. We all cuddled up in two small beds that were pushed together and sang along as we watched Herc go from zero to hero. I totally called dibs on being Meg for Halloween, and I think Franny said she would be Hercules because she is a ginger. Then Grace and Chelsea volunteered to get some cronies to be the five muses with them. We jokingly talked about using the hotel’s bed sheets for our Grecian get-ups. Epic plan? I think so. Fun fact number 37 about Allie: when I was in primary school, I had a sweet lavender-colored backpack with Meg on it that said “Meg-a cool!” I know what you’re thinking, and no, it doesn’t get any cooler than that.

Monday night was the kick-off of God Squad, and I am stoked! God Squad meets once a week and we learn about our faith and the Church and Rome and how they all go together. There are seven deacons and seminarians that are in charge of the program and they are fantastic. A few of them have excellent beards, and one of them remembered me from a weeklong program that I participated in four years ago at St. Meinrad Archabbey. I’m hard to remember, yet impossible to forget…

For breakfast this morning I had a cappuccino and a cornetto. The cornetto was fresh out of the oven, so it was still hot, and there was warm nutella in the middle. I knew as soon as I took a bite that today was going to be a good day. You just can’t have that for breakfast and not have a good day, you know?

After breakfast, I went to the library to study Italian for a few hours, and I got a lot of work done. Great success! I then met up with my one and only (Grace) for lunch. Then it was time for my two hour Italian class. Yikes. But today was good. I actually carried on a mostly intelligent conversation with my teacher and I was able to answer correctly every time she called on me. Ten points to Gryffindor! After Italian, I headed back to the library to get ahead on Western Civilization. Then it was back to the room to make our beds (Tuesday is clean sheets day!) and to do laundry. Look at productive Polly over here. I was feeling so good about all the work I had accomplished, and then Grace walked into the room and made my day even better. Her neighbors are in town for a few days, and they brought goodies with them from the states. Homemade cookies and wait for it, wait for it…
PEANUT BUTTER!
Fun fact number 22 about Allie Zahm: I am addicted to peanut butter. No joke. I have it at least once a day. But, here in Italy, they do not eat peanut butter. So I have gone through withdraw for about a month now. Until today. And let me tell you, peanut butter has never tasted so good. Thank you, Pat Coffey.

I always look forward to going to moral theology, and class was extra good today. We talked about the roles of and relationships between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Then we discussed how humans relate to and carry out the work of each part of the Trinity. At one point, Fr. Mark made a comment about “living of love,” so I was singing the Avett Brothers song to myself for the rest of the night. When they ask you what you’re thinking of, say love, say for me looooove…

Grace and I topped off the evening by going out to dinner with her neighbors, the Schuberts. They took us to a nice place called Francesco’s (so Italian) and we had an amazing dinner and good conversation. We then went for a nice stroll, and Grace and I showed them our world. We introduced them to the best gelato place in Rome. We showed them to the less ghetto supermarket of the two that we frequent, the classroom building, the library, the office building, and Pascucci. It was a lovely night, and it was nice to meet a few of the many amazing people that Grace has been telling me all about.

It’s the little things in life, you know?
You know you, yeah? (Said in British accent just for my Tash.)

Happy feast day of St. Luke!

I would like to throw a special shout-out to my big brudder Josh, who is home from Afghanistan. Welcome home, doc! I wish I could be there to celebrate your safe return with you.
I hope your few days in h-town will leave you well rested and feeling extra loved. Because you are.

A presto.

No comments:

Post a Comment