Friday, October 7, 2011

I fell in love again, all things go, all things go


I have found it to be true that I almost always fall in love in the fall. This is a good time to fall in love, in my opinion, because autumn is easily my favorite of all the seasons. Everything about it makes my little heart quite happy: the trees, flannel, fall playlists, tea, anything pumpkin, Halloween, cardigans…you get the point.

I fell in love today. With Rome. I mean, I have loved Rome ever since I stepped foot on its narrow, cobble-stoned streets. But today sealed the deal for sure.

I woke up to gray skies and cool air. And scattered rain. You know how there is that one day where you realize that fall has finally arrived, and it gives you the giddiest feeling in the world, and you feel (even if it’s just for a moment) that everything is right in the world? If you don’t know what I mean, then you’re missing out. If you do know what I mean, well, that is what I felt like today. And it was lovely.

The day started out wonderfully. Grace and I caught up on some sleep, since we got very little (well, Grace got very little) the night before, and last night, we had an epic late night chat with our friends Chelsea and Fran. We took our time getting ready and then we walked to Pascucci with our friend Leo for lunch. Then Leo introduced us to one of the best gelato places in town. (I feel like I say that about every gelato place…)

Instead of having Archaeology today, I had a tour at Villa Giulia, which is a museum filled with Etruscan artifacts and pottery. It is so cool to actually be able to see the things that I am learning about in my classes. I got really excited when I saw a particular sarcophagus that we learned about. I kid you not. Call me a nerd, but it was amazing. These pieces are thousands of years old and they are right in front of my eyes. And my mind is continually blown.

Speaking of awesome old stuff, Grace and I happened to find the Trevi fountain the other day. I must say that pictures don’t do it justice. The fountain is huge! It’s like the opposite reaction that one has after seeing the Mona Lisa (which is super tiny, or so I’ve heard.) We both threw coins in, but I only threw in five cents. And I threw it over my right shoulder instead of my left. Fail. Good thing it is only a fifteen-minute walk from where we are staying.

Speaking of the Mona Lisa, I am going to Paris for Thanksgiving break with my lovely friends Caitlin and Lindsay. I am so stoked.

Speaking of Caitlin and Lindsay, Grace and I are accompanying them to Venice tomorrow. Can you say gondola ride?

Speaking of tomorrow, I have to get up at 5:15 am and it is 1:00 am. So, technically I have to get up today. So I am off to bed. I hope you all have the sweetest of all the dreams.

Speaking of sweetness, Lindsay’s ridiculously sweet boyfriend, Joe, read us the book Goodnight Moon over skype this evening. Precious. And a teensy bit hilarious.

Goodnight, moon.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of you and your infinite awesomeness, YOU ARE STRAIGHT-UP LIVING A DREAM.

    Can I be you? k thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really, really wish I was there! Best. Trip. Ever!

    ReplyDelete