Monday, September 19, 2011

Darling I'm tired, and I should be leaving.

The suitcase laying by the door and my dad's frequent "I miss you already" comments have finally gotten through. I am leaving for Rome. Tomorrow. This reality hits me in waves, and it is followed by simultaneous feelings of excitement and borderline panic. I get nervous about the plethora of things that could possibly go wrong, but then I am overcome with joy at the thought of all the history and beauty that I will encounter, as well as the promise of growth. My head is swimming with advice given to my by the ones who care about me most: Use the buddy system! Don't smile at the Italian boys. In fact, don't even look them in the eye. Drink lots of espresso and eat lots of dark chocolate gelato. Discover a nook of the city that has yet to be explored. Travel. Hang out with the pope. The list goes on. So, with a head full of doubt and a road full of promise, I set out for the Eternal City. In the words of Andrew Largeman: "Good luck exploring the infinite abyss."

2 comments:

  1. You are going to have the most wonderful time! I can't wait to see you in 4 weeks! And I absolutely love your quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any cousin of mine that quotes Andrew Largeman in a blog is a favorite of mine! So excited for you and insanely jealous!!! I love Italy and long to return. I will vicariously experience Italy thanks to your blog. Take care of you and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete